Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Another Dreaded Sunny Day So I Meet You At The Cemetery Gates

Kim Gee Comics #1 - #3 www.kimgeecomics.com
I had planned on going to see The B-52s downtown last night, but instead I curled up in bed to daydream and read zines and eat this yummy black cherry soy pudding stuff. Kim sent me a collection of her comics in the mail earlier this summer after reading about my forays into the world of online dating. I joked that I wanted to add to the newly burgeoning genre of OkCupid zines (but actually I'm quite serious, and hey, it is International Zine Month after all), and this is exactly one of those. In the first issue, Kim finds herself newly single after a long-term relationship has ended and is convinced by her friends to put an ad on Craigslist. She receives the requisite strange responses, but then a legitimately nice person writes to her. They date for a little while, but the real story begins when they drift apart and she finds herself signing up for OkCupid. We get to watch her travel all over New York (and sometimes New Jersey) to meet up with random internet dudes, all of whom come with their own emotional baggage. It was an engrossing read that had me laughing out loud at times, and also made me really glad that I have no intentions of entering into a monogamous relationship. The drawings are really simple and nice, though I did occasionally lose track of who each person was and had to check back with previous issues. Totally a fun read though.

Sex Work: 14 Answers To Your Questions www.chezstella.org
So this is more of an informational booklet, but it's in zine format and I liked it, so here goes. It's basically an explanation of what sex work is, why it's important to use terms like 'sex work' rather than 'prostitution', and how individuals and organizations can support sex workers. Really simple layout, with thoughtful and understandable explanations, kind of a sex workers rights 101. The only trouble I have with it is that it's written as if all sex workers are cis-women, and well, that's just not true. Still, it was informative. And I imagine it's available en français aussi, being that it was printed by Stella and the Service aux collectivités at UQAM.

Six Letters Addressed To You #1 patrokolosATgmail.com
I'm just going to admit it. I had this zine sitting on my shelf for like eight months before I read it. I probably flipped through and caught Neitzsche's name and the lackluster layout and set it aside. Had I read further, I would've seen that Doris was also quoted. And that the whole zine is actually really good. So, the premise is that this guy is writing six letters to people whose identities we will never know, and while they sometimes get a little personal, he also uses the opportunity to expand upon his own beliefs and ideas. It's a little heavy on the quoting-from-other-authors front, but he's obviously someone who enjoys reading and has an interest in both philosophy and anarchism and is able to articulate it in a really accessible way, so that's cool.



What I've Been Up To Lately: Road-trippin' it out to the Parc Nature du Cap Saint-Jacques for swimming and adventures with some lovely ladies, feeling hella relaxed as a result, planning more swimming and camping trips for the summer, laying in the grass on the mountain (I just wanna lay down and daydream forever), exploring the Cimetière du Mont-Royal, listening to Veruca Salt on cassette, hosting another get-together of the Post A Letter Social Activity Club, going to see Dekoder and The Facials, discovering that Sam Ectoplasm lives within walking distance (finally, friends in the neighbourhood!), collecting a bit of cash from zine sales at the Concordia Co-Op Bookstore, finding copies of On Beauty by Zadie Smith and Sex, Gender & Sexuality: The Basics in a free pile, and considering a trip to Queeriot.





















I've been having so many lovely days and when I walk home from the metro at night, I can often be found with a smile on my face, tapping my fingers on my legs to the beat of my favourite songs. The other day I had my music on shuffle and Chairman Of The Bored by Crass was followed by I Have No Fun by Vivian Girls. Amazing set. (But I always have fun).

2 comments:

clara.lipfert said...

Such rad photos! I really enjoy your pigtails. And walking down the street with headphones in is such an optimal state of existence

patrokolos said...

six letters addressed to you is now available online: patrokolos.tumblr.com